Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake

    Autumn has finally hit out here.  The leaves are changing, the mornings are dark, and there is that certain crispness in the air that only this season brings.
Time to bake. 

  This is my family's all time favorite.  My children even ask for it instead of a frosting covered birthday cake.   It's so easy to make.  *I always make it in a bundt pan, but my friends have tried it in two loaf pans or as muffins.  They just tweeked the baking time.

     Did you know that baking is a science?  It's true.!  A chemical reaction occurs while baking.  This is why you need to follow baking recipes exactly.

     Now I am not one to tell you to following cooking recipes exactly.  Actually, I rarely follow those recipes exactly.   Except Barefoot Contessa recipes.  She calls for the perfect amount in every recipe I've tried.  I don't mess with Ina.  More on her later...
But with baking, you MUST follow.  
Here is the recipe:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 small can of pumpkin
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2t baking soda
2t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, oil, pumpkin, and eggs.  In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.  Stir together the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.  
Add the chocolate chips
Pour into a well greased bundt pan*  
Bake for 50-60 minutes.
Let it cool COMPLETELY before you invert it to a pretty plate.  I always sprinkle with powdered sugar.
ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment